Friday, September 10, 2010

"Update On What's Been Happening!"



Hello, everybody! It's been quite a while since I've been able to post on my blog and to some of you, my story may seem quite hilarious, but at the time, it was not funny to me at all.

I had just signed on to my laptop, and I had only been on it for about ten minutes when it decided on its own to log off and do its own thing. It proceeded to do some strange number entries, then it went blank for a little while, and then (this is what scared me!) it said, "preparing desktop..."

After another ten minutes, it opened up to my laptop's desktop, and do you know what I discovered? That blinking computer had wiped out everything that I had on my desktop! Plus, I did not recognize anything--the font looked weird and the setup looked like it did from my very first computer, back ten years ago.

In addition to that, I went to see if it had done anything to my manuscripts or any of my short stories, etc. and it told me that I did not have access to any of those files. In fact, I went through everything, and I no longer had access to any files! It was like I was living in "The Twilight Zone". I didn't have access to my emails, it wouldn't let me log-in anywhere, and it wouldn't even send tweets to anyone. All I could do was get on the Internet and lurk. It was awful. And it's still like that. I can't do a thing with it.

"Do any of you have any idea how I can fix this?"




My husband is getting my a new laptop (Praise the Lord!), but I still won't have access to my manuscripts until I fix the other laptop, so I need to get that fixed right away. In the meantime, I will keep on writing.

Speaking of writing...

I am now an official "published author"!


A short story that I wrote entitled "The Rose" has been accepted for publication in an eMagazine called "UNIQUE/Arise2010". It will not be available until sometime in October, following The Unveiling Celebration and kick off of a two-week art show/exhibit at the Szozda-McGowan Gallery in the Delavan Center in Syracuse, NY, from 5 to 7 PM on Wednesday, 20 October 2010, at which time I will post a story with photos and the short story. (I have been asked not to post my short story, "The Rose", until after it has already been published in the "UNIQUE/Arise2010" eMagazine.)



OTHER NEWS:

You may remember that I had a couple of workshops lined up to take at the "Savvy Authors.com" website. Well, because of the "snafu" with my laptop, I missed quite a bit of the "Tickets to Ride: Basic Historical Research Workshop", Dates: 30 Aug-05 Sept 2010, with instructor: Beth Daniels; however, she supplied a pdf of her entire workshop, and I made a pdf of the notes because there is so much good information in there. The little bit I did get to interact with her, I learned a lot! She is a wonderful teacher.

And currently, I am borrowing a laptop so that I won't miss out on the other workshop, which is: "Creating Your Own Book Trailer", Dates: 06 Sept-17 Sept 2010, with instructor: Kris Tualla.

This workshop has been absolutely amazing so far. I have learned so much, and it's been a lot of fun, too.

The instructor, Kris Tualla, is not only an instructor, but she's an incredible author. Without even knowing who she was, back in July, I had already bought one of her books called "A PRIMER FOR BEGINNING AUTHORS" (it's great, by the way) and the other one that she has available, which I'm definitely going to buy is: "A WOMAN OF CHOICE (The Hansen Series)". Be sure to check out: "Kris Tualla's Amazon & Kindle Books" for any new releases because a new book will be released in November 2010.



Well, I guess I've kept you long enough, huh? That's about all the writing-related news I have for you at this time. Stay tuned and keep checking back in, OK? I'll try not to be gone for so long next time. And I should be on my new computer for my next report, unless I sneak a quick one in before if arrives.

Until next time...stay safe, stay well, and may the Lord bless you all.

Cynde


Please visit my other blogs:
Cynde's Daybook ~and~ Usurper Exposed. Thank you!


10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh Cynde - I hope you get it all back!

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Awww...thanks, Stephanie! You're such a sweetheart. I sure hope so, too. I'll be very upset if I don't! But there's a plan in everything, right? Maybe the next time I write my stories, they will be even better, who knows?

dellgirl said...

Oh man, computer problems suck. I hope you can salvage your files and other important information.

Congratulations on being published! I'm looking forward to reading your story, can hardly wait.

How’s everything elsegoing? I hope all is well.

Have a wonderful weekend, Cynde!

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Hi, Leona.

Thanks for dropping by. Yeah, I hate not being able to use my own laptop. My new one is here, but I haven't been able to set it up yet--hopefully by the weekend I'll have it up and running.

I hope things are going well for you, too. Have a blessed week.

Cynde

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Hi, Carol!

Yes, of course I'm interested! I'm hoping that I'll have my new laptop set up and ready so I will be able to participate. Otherwise, it will be totally ridiculous for me to even try.

Thanks for contacting me, though and best of luck to you with your "Blog Jog Day" Event this year.

Sincerely,
Cynde

Unknown said...

Hey there Cynde,

I hope that things are going better and that you've retrieved your manuscripts. Did you get it fixed? We would love a update on your story. Did it end up getting published yet?

Thank you for joining my blog. I look forward to finding out more about your writing. It is exciting that your starting to see things happen. Good luck!

Write more!

Draven Ames

dellgirl said...

Hi, just popping back in to see what's new and to say hi. Have a wonderful Week.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Congratulations on your first published article, Cynde. And a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! (Enjoy the new computer.)

Angela Ackerman said...

Boy this just happened to me--we bought a new desktop and I had it three days...and kaboom! Computer died.

Thank goodness we still had all the original files from when we moved everything from the old PC to the new one. I hope you'll get your work back, too.

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Deirdra A. Eden said...

You have a fabulous blog! I want to award you the Creative Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

BTW, I am your newest follower.
I invite you to follow me as we have a lot in common.

My blog specialize in helping writers get published by learning from agents, editors and authors who I interview.
Tomorrow, I am having a literary agent on my blog as a special guest. She has some great tips for authors.

Take care and have a nice day :-)
Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra